Sunday, November 24, 2013

Homemade Gravy

I'll admit, we've all had yucky gravy.  You know the kind... lumpy, under seasoned or from a package/can.  I was pretty open to whatever topping my mashed taters were going to be graced with before making this and now, I can confidently tell you I am a convert.  Never again will a pre-packaged gravy ever touch these lips... unless I'm at someone's house for dinner, I mean I'm not rude!
I digress...

This gravy is so simple you're going to wonder why you haven't done it before! 

First let's start with the base- potatoes!  Now everyone has their own way of making mashed potatoes and what I'm about to say will shock and possibly gross you out a bit!  Just bear with me, these are freaking delicious!



Potatoes ala Annalee

Red potatoes- boiled to perfection
3-4 tbs salted butter (or more Paula!)
1/2 cup olive oil mayo
Garlic Salt/Pepper to taste

Mix while still piping hot and taste!  I've also been known to throw an egg in the mixture but that freaks some people out.  My Belgian host mom did it and it was AMAZING.  You think you know creamy, but you don't until you add an egg! 

Ok, on to the toppings!



Homemade Gravy
1 cup ham (or other meat) drippings**
3-4 tablespoons flour
COLD water
1/8- 1/4 teaspoon salt

1.  Bring ham drippings to a boil.
2.  Mix flour and water to make a runny paste.
3.  Pour flour/water mixture in boiling ham drippings a little at a time making sure to be whisking at the same time.  Whisk until thickened.
4.  Add salt (if needed) to taste! 

I found it worked best with a flat whisk to really get all the clumps off the bottom.  With my ham glaze it worked like a charm!  So delicious. 

**I used pineapple slices & cloves on my ham with a glaze of 1/2 cup honey, 1/2 brown sugar and a cup of cranberry juice.  Finger licken good!

You're ready to slather your hearts desire in gravy!  You can also find this on Not Just a Housewife's blog!
Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment